2006-09-14

DWR

I spent todays afternoon listening to Joe Walker, author of DWR (Direct Web Remoting) which is an AJAX toolkit for Java.

The talk was very interesting and Joe is a good talker so, all in all, it was an afternoon well spent. I've done quite a lot of JavaScript programming using XMLHttpRequest but I haven't done any AJAX programming per se. It looks quite interesting though and I'll definitely check it out.

It seems to me that using reverse AJAX (with DWR) you can create a Model 1 web application which completely separates the View (static HTML pages with some DWR-generated JavaScript files included) from the business logic (EJBs/POJOs). Simple JavaScript functions/event handlers in the HTML page triggers a function on the server which does "something" and then populate the page with the result. It's all a bit fuzzy around the edges at the moment but I'm sure I'll find out about everything that's wrong or undoable with this approach soon enough.

Inga kommentarer: